Southwest Airlines is a one-of-a-kind airline in the aviation world. Because of Southwest’s flight change policy, we’ve given it the moniker “unique.” Southwest Airlines is noted for having the most liberal change policy of any of the major airlines. Most airlines impose a significant penalty for altering a ticket after it has been purchased. Southwest Airlines has set the standard for not collecting change costs on domestic and international flights, setting an example for other airlines. We’ve put together a guide to Southwest Airlines’ date change policy so you can be prepared if you need to modify your itinerary.
Features Of Changing A Southwest Airlines Flight
- Southwest Airlines has not changed their policy as a result of Covid. Although Covid’s regulations have been revised, you could change your flight without paying a fee even before Covid. Changing a flight without paying a fare difference is a huge deal, especially when competing airlines charge twice. This allows travellers to save a significant amount of money or points.
- Funds from want to go away, anytime, and business select fares can be utilised for future travel by the ticketed passenger only for up to one year from the date of original purchase. The travel booked with these funds must be completed before the expiration date. All monies are refundable if the shows were cancelled in accordance with the new show rules.
- If a ticket is purchased with quick reward points, it can only be altered with points.
- You have the option of altering the departure date, flight time, or destination. It would be contingent on availability on that specific date.
- There are no penalties for modifying a flight in the event of a medical emergency, illness, or if the flight schedule is changed due to weather. Only the difference in fares would be charged.
- Only if the flight is cancelled within 24 hours of making Southwest Reservations may the name on the ticket be changed. The passenger must cancel their ticket and book a new flight under the proper name in order to change their name.
- If a passenger has to change their flight after checking in, they must do it at least 40 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time.
- If the flight’s timetable changes, the passenger will receive an alert. In this instance, it is always a good idea to call straight away to see what flight options are available.
- Southwest Travel Funds can be used to purchase a new flight if a previous flight is cancelled. The sole requirement is that it be utilised for the same passenger who was originally scheduled to fly.
How To Change A Southwest Airlines Flight
To change your flight, you must first go to Southwest’s official website. After that, go to the official website and log in with your account number, username, and password.
When you log in, you’ll notice four tabs at the top of the website. To access the drop-down menu, you must first click on flight. Select Manage Reservations from the menu to see the Change or Cancellation Reservations screen. You must select Change Flight from the drop-down menu.
On the next page, you’ll find a box with more self-service options, and you’ll need to select Change Reservations from there. You must also enter your confirmation number, as well as your first and last names.
By selecting the option of change after clicking continue, you will be taken to a website where you may view your booking details. There will be an option to update the selected flight, which will display all of the details from your prior travel. To change your flight, go to pick new flight and click on it.
The next page will show you a list of all upcoming flights together with their current prices. You can choose the flight that best suits your needs and then click Continue. Your flight change will be confirmed after you select continue.
What Is The Cost Of Changing A Southwest Flight?
Southwest Airlines does not charge a fee to change a flight. Whereas many other airlines charge a hefty fee, Southwest appears to recognise the importance of customers’ crises and does not charge anything.
If your new booked flight costs more than your initial flight, you may be requested to pay the difference in fare. And because the new flight is less expensive, you will be refunded the difference in your original payment method. If the travel is completed before the expiration date, the difference can be kept for future use in the form of a reusable travel find for the original ticketed passenger.
Southwest’s Policy On Flight Changes 24-Hour Refund Policy:
Everything is entirely refundable within 24 hours of purchase. Within the 24-hour window, the airline permits you to change your flight without penalty. It also allows you to amend or cancel a reservation up to 24 hours before departure and receive a full refund of your cost. This rate is valid for travel within a year after making the initial reservation.